Special counsel Robert MuellerRobert Swan MuellerSasse: US should applaud choice of Mueller to lead Russia probe MORE has rejected a proposal from President TrumpDonald John TrumpSessions unveils ‘zero tolerance’ policy at southern border NY attorney general resigns after allegations of physical abuse Trump Jr. mocks Schneiderman after reports he abused women MORE’s legal team to send in written answers to questions related to the Russia investigation, CBS News reported early Tuesday.
Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said in an interview that the proposal was rejected, according to the network. He also said that if there is a sit-down interview, certain issues would have to be off-limits to investigators, but did not provide specifics, it added.
Giuliani added that Trump legal team also wants to set a time limit for the interview, CBS said.
The network noted that the Trump legal team’s preference for written responses could help protect the president from the possibly lying or misleading the FBI investigators.
Giuliani, who joined the Trump legal late last month, told CBS it would take him up to three weeks to review all of the facts before any kind of interview, the network said.
On Sunday, Giuliani said that Trump would not comply with a subpoena from Mueller because of his presidential privilege.
Giuliani told CBS News in the new interview that Trump would fight the subpoena.
Trump said last week that he would “love to” sit down with Mueller as long as he would be “treated fairly.”
Giuliani blasted the Mueller investigation on Saturday, calling it a “tremendous” distraction and “totally unjustified.”