Donald Trump declares US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal

US President Donald Trump has announced that the United States is effectively withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal, defying last-ditch diplomatic efforts by his European allies to convince him otherwise.

“I made clear that if the deal could not be fixed, the United States would no longer be a party to the agreement,” Trump said in a highly-anticipated address on Tuesday.

“The Iran deal is defective at its core. If we do nothing, we will know what exactly will happen.

“Therefore, I am announcing today, that the United States will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal,” he said.

A White House statement said Trump directed his “administration to immediately begin the process of re-imposing sanctions” related to the deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)

Iran nuclear deal: Tehran braces for Trump’s decision

“The re-imposed sanctions will target critical sectors of Iran’s economy, such as its energy, petrochemical, and financial sectors.”  

Trump’s decision fulfills a campaign promise to cancel the 2015 pact, which he has repeatedly described as “the worst deal ever”. 

Hours before his speech, the White House said Trump called French President Emmanuel Macron to discuss his decision. 

US Vice President Mike Pence has also informed members of Congress about the withdrawal. 

Earlier on Tuesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said that Tehran “will overcome” any “problems” it could face in the coming months.

In 2015, Iran signed the deal with six world powers: the US, UK, France, Germany, Russia, China and the European Union. 

Thomas Countryman, former US assistant secretary of state who helped negotiate the deal, said withdrawing from the deal will further thrust the Middle East into the path of instability.

‘Foreign policy malpractice’

Countryman said with Trump’s decision, the US becomes the first of the seven parties who is violating the agreement. 

“That would be a serious case of foreign policy malpractice, and it would have several effects that would play out very slowly.”

Iran: Netanyahu’s ‘lies’ aimed at influencing Trump

He also said the US is now left with diminished credibility to negotiate a better deal, while making negotiations with North Korea “more complicated”.

Regardless of Trump’s decision, the other parties to the Iran deal have said they will not abandon it.

In a joint statement earlier on Tuesday, the European Union, Britain, France and Germany said they met Iranian officials in Brussels and reaffirmed their support “to the continued full and effective implementation of the JCPOA by all sides”.

Meanwhile, Russia warned on Tuesday that a “very serious situation” will emerge if Trump pulls out of the pact.

For his part, Ali Fathollah-Nejad, an Iran expert at Brookings Doha and the German Council on Foreign Relations, told Al Jazeera that there is an incentive in Tehran to keep the deal afloat despite Trump’s decision.

He said “a great portion of the Iranian elite” who benefited from the post-deal business would want the deal to survive.

On the other hand, some hardline factions do not mind the deal’s collapse, he said. 

Under the Iran deal signed in Vienna, Austria, in 2015, Iran scaled back its uranium enrichment programme and promised not to pursue nuclear weapons.

In exchange, international sanctions were lifted, allowing it to sell its oil and gas worldwide. However, secondary US sanctions remain.

Since Trump came to office, however, he has taken several steps to block the deal.

In October, he refused to certify that Iran is living up to the accord. He also targeted several Iranian businesses and individuals with new sanctions.

On January 12, Trump announced he was waiving the US sanctions for the “last time”. He said if his demands to “fix the deal” were not met within 120 days, the US would withdraw from the deal on or before the deadline.